Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bacon-Bourbon-Pecan Brownies


Because butter and chocolate apparently aren't enough in brownies, why not add bacon grease? I had to give these brownies a go as soon as I read the recipe in Food&Wine. I think this is about as manly as dessert is going to get, and it includes three of my favorite things. 


This has to be the messiest thing I've made in a while. I think half my kitchen is now spattered with bacon grease and brownie batter. I had to fry the bacon, melt the chocolate, and then mix it all together in several steps. It's a good thing they turned out alright...






There isn't an overt bacon or bourbon flavor to these guys, but you do get a sort of savory smokey flavor at the end. I can't taste the bourbon at all, but I think it was just there for show as a vanilla stand-in (UPDATE: After letting them sit for a day, the bourbon starts to really come through, especially if you take a bite without the bacon and pecans). They are also pretty cakey, which is fine, but I usually like a chewy brownie.



The bacon and pecans are only sprinkled on top, so a couple of bites had a big hunk of bacon. I think I'd leave the bacon a little undercooked before I bake these again. I think I'd also add a bit of vegetable oil to add more moisture. With a glass of milk these are still pretty great. Too bad it's 100 degrees outside, I guess I can't air out my apt now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is seriously the craziest recipe I have ever seen!! But I have a theory that has yet to be disproved... Bacon makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete