Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Ginger Peach Bread

I've been trying to use up the things in my cabinet that have been sitting there for too long, and I discovered a can of peach halves. I don't like canned peaches, and I can't remember why I bought them...maybe another attempt to recreate a strawberry-peach pie? I don't know. I also have this giant jar of apple sauce that I was suppose to use as a vegetable oil substitute, but not having made anything which required vegetable oil lately, I still have a giant jar of apple sauce hogging a large section of my refrigerator. I figured the best thing to use the peaches and sauce was a quick bread. I started with this recipe for a basic peach bread and then added my own twist to it...


I replaced all but a tablespoon of the vegetable oil with apple sauce and substituted 1/4 cup of the sugar with molasses. I also added the ginger portion of this ginger peach bread by including 1 teaspoon of ground ginger as well as about a 1/3 of a cup of finely diced crystallized ginger (another item I have been trying to use). I'm a little gun shy about using splenda right now, so I didn't try to sub out any of the sugar for a healthier option.
.

When/if I make this again, I think I'd leave out the crystallized ginger and up the ground ginger. I also would shred the peaches, or maybe use fresh. I think I just don't like canned peaches. The bread was good though, and now I have breakfast for the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment